Ascencia's flagship Bagatelle Mall has recently updated its cooling system, adopting chilled water air conditioning technology. This technique improves the efficiency of the air-conditioning system and reduces its environmental impact thanks to the use of cooling gases that are less harmful to the planet.
Leading the way on sustainability
Commonly referred to as a chiller, this system consists of a refrigeration unit that includes a compressor, an evaporator and a condenser, whose function is to cool the water in the refrigeration circuit. The system’s exceptional performance and the long-term energy savings it offers make it a stand-out technology.
Once cooled, the water:
- is distributed to the ventilation and air conditioning systems already installed on the roof of the building;
- absorbs heat from the ambient air;
- diffuses cool air into the centre’s shops and public areas.
Since its implementation in December 2022, 43 traditional refrigeration units have been gradually replaced with four state-of-the-art chillers.
Especially well suited to shopping centres for its ability to maintain a pleasant temperature while reducing energy consumption, chilled water air conditioning boasts exceptional performance. Antish Seegobin, Operational Excellence Manager at Ascencia, supervised the system’s installation between October 2022 and May 2023. “Thanks to this innovation, we have reduced our air conditioning consumption by 20% compared with 2022,” he says. The new system is also more robust; with proper maintenance, it can operate reliably for around twenty years, providing a long-term solution for Bagatelle Mall.
Reduced environmental footprint, improved visitor experience, comfort for employees, among others. With its tangible energy efficiency and long-term sustainability results, this cooling system reinforces Bagatelle Mall’s reputation as a premier shopping destination.
Combining property development and sustainability
Ascencia is fully aware of the impact its malls have in terms of energy consumption and waste production, and the company is committed to transforming its operations to limit or offset its environmental impact:
- In August 2021, Ascencia was invited to join the Stock Exchange of Mauritius Sustainability Index (SEMSI): its businesses demonstrate a sustainable economic, social, environmental and good governance structure in place.
- Ascencia continues to reduce its energy consumption, particularly by producing 3,883 MWh of solar energy between July 2022 and June 2023.
- The company aims to gain LEED certification for all its malls, guaranteeing high energy efficiency, comfort, and environmental respect.
- Bagatelle Mall is equipped with a biogas plant which converts green waste into compost and energy, further reducing its energy footprint.